Stopping threads from the outside

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Mar 24 17:31:52 EST 2002

holger at trillke.net wrote:

> > "The network"?  Which one?  The Internet, or an internal
> > network over which you have full control?  Who controls
> > the servers on which these agents will be running?
>
> well. at the moment the servers are under my control.
> but this is hopefully going to change.

So is your purpose in shutting down threads that you want
to prevent agents written by others from running forever?
Or can you count on the good behaviour of those writing
agents to run on these servers?

> In fact it is quite hard to group the agent-threads because they are very
> autonomous (and btw quite cooperative with other agents).

"Cooperative"?  As in, working together on problems?  Or
working on their own individual problems without any
interference or perhaps interaction?

-Peter