Indentation problem

Isaac To kkto at csis.hku.hk
Mon Mar 25 22:23:58 EST 2002

    Gilles> Hi, I like Python language and use it every day. But...  I read
    Gilles> some articles from October, 1998 where there was a fight with
    Gilles> space and tabs and indent problems.  Today, we can found code
    Gilles> with spaces and tabs in the code.

    Gilles> I've some problem with identing code. I'm allright with the
    Gilles> example.  But, I think it's important to have an "end" building
    Gilles> block like "!:"

    Gilles> What do you think about that?

Hm... sounds very reasonable.  But I think it would be useless in the
current state of Python: most code is already written like what you prefer
not to have.  When you have to merge code, you'll always find that some of
them are in the old style and some in the new style.

I'd rather suggest to have a Python-specific indentation command in Emacs
that will "reindent a region in a way that fits the current indentation
style and fit in the current context, but retain the original meaning".
This really shouldn't be that difficult.  Anyone will try his elisp skills?

Regards,
Isaac.