Python 2.2 seriously crippled for numerical computation?

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 2 04:13:38 EST 2002

Huaiyu Zhu wrote:

> There appears to be a serious bug in Python 2.2 that severely limits its
> usefulness for numerical computation:

[snipped]

Just to give some data points on this. I confirmed the problem on a Mandrake
8.1 box with python 2.2 built by hand, gcc 2.96. But the python 2.2 windows
binary from python.org does NOT exhibit it in my WindowsXP box. The reuslt
there is 1e-200**2 -> 0.0, as it should.

I posted this report to the scipy-dev list to see if someone there (many
linux users, all directly involved in numerical computing) can find out what
the problem is.

Cheers,

f.