Standalone Win32 wxPython apps?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Mar 10 00:24:25 EST 2002

Grant Edwards wrote:

> >> Optimally, it would be a single "exe" file that doesn't
> >> require any installation procedure.
> >
> > That's too much to ask for even a native Windows app in most
> > cases these days.
>
> That's kind of sad, but I figured as much.  The only real
> stand-alone Win32 app I've seen in a long while is puTTY. Are
> statically linked apps just not possible under Win32, or just
> not practical?

Just as possible and practical as under Linux, really.  Which
is to say not highly desirable in many cases, at least for
serious (read, largish) applications.  For smaller utility
type programs, definitely possible but, unfortunately, less
of an option in your case trying to do it with Python tools.
But you really don't want to statically link an 800K
interpreter and a 2MB windowing framework into your little
utility, do you? :)

> > Use py2exe and you'll get a directory with the Python DLL, the
> > wxPython DLL, your EXE, and a few other DLLs as needed (e.g.
> > the native regular expression stuff if you use it).
>
> I don't know diddly about DLLs, so pardon the ignorant
> question: Can my DLLs be put in a private directory where my
> EXE can find them?  I'd rather not put anything in any public
> system directories.

Yes, definitely.  Not entirely advisable if you're delivering
more than one program in the same manner, since you'd be
duplicating piles of files, but you can do it.  And I suppose
there's the fact you'd be avoiding much of the grief caused
by dynamically linked apps and "DLL version hell" by doing
that, if you can spare the hard drive space (and most users
probably can these days).

-Peter