Windows Installation

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 15 11:25:13 EST 2002

On Friday 15 March 2002 22:23, you wrote:
> [Fernando Pérez wrote]
>
> > John Roth wrote:
> > > Putting something into the start menu is dead easy. Just put a
> > > link to the appropriate file into "c:Windows/Start Menu/Programs"
> > > Note the blank, and watch your capitalization. Windows is
> > > flaky about capitalization.
> >
> > This is only for win9x. Win2k/xp have per-user Start Menu dirs, and
> > their location must be retrieved from the registry (Def. is
> > C:\documents and settings\user-name\Start Menu, but it can vary). So to
> > have this be reliable, there's no way around diving into the pleasures
> > of the registry.
>
> Not true. There is a win32api call to get these directories. Mind you,
> that requires you to have the PyWin32 extensions installed.

[snipped]

Ah, thanks for the info. I assume those calls are basically wrappers for
clean access to those registry keys which ultimately hold the information,
but it's definitely better to read the registry via an api than by mucking
with it directly.

The bulk of what I had in mind (but didn't clearly express :) remains: you
can't just assume C:\Windows\Start Menu, you need to get the actual value
of that directory in some form (and your api solution is much better than
my registry access).

Cheers,

f.