Newbie ?:A more concise way?

Geoff Gerrietts geoff at gerrietts.net
Tue Mar 5 18:04:02 EST 2002

Quoting Jeff Shannon (jeff at ccvcorp.com):
> > I think that I have seen notables in the python community (I would
> > name names, but I don't have quotes to reference) have indicated
> > regret at the introduction of map() and friends into the language.
> > They end up being appropriate only very, very rarely.
> >
> > The lambda construct doesn't suffer from quite the same stigma, though
> > I think some feel that it's overused, and to bad effect.

I think Carel has the right of it, actually. Lots of supporting
evidence for distate for map() and friends:

Thomas Wouters calling them "evil" (in quotes):
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2000-August/008266.html

Tim Peters defending use of lambda & map interactively (and quoting
from Guido, who regrets them all):
    http://sunsite.bilkent.edu.tr/pub/languages/pub/tim_one/000177.html

Tim making special exception for lambda:
    http://sunsite.bilkent.edu.tr/pub/languages/pub/tim_one/000179.html

Tim admitting (4 yrs later) that lambda was maybe not so good:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=000701bd7caf%24c27f8520%2456472399%40tim

And Guido's pronouncement of disgrace upon the constructs in 1994:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=9405270809.AA02474%3Dguido%40voorn.cwi.nl

So now there's some citational evidence. If they haven't changed their
minds since, it looks like the whole lot be damned.

--G.

--
Geoff Gerrietts                <geoff at gerrietts net>
"I have read your book and much like it." --Moses Hadas