[ANN] PEP 279 version 1.5

Boris^2 borcis at geneva-link.ch
Tue Mar 5 03:29:07 EST 2002

Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> PEP 279 -- Enhanced Generators has been updated:
> http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0279.html
>
> Additional comments are solicited before it is sent
> to Guido for pronouncement.

>>  By analogy, consider the quality improvement from GOSUB (which had
>>  no argument passing mechanism) to modern procedure calls (which can
>>  pass in arguments and return values).

I know it's rhetorical, but I find that the above implies too

much for the GOSUB. Elaborate scoping rules and parameter passing
mechanisms existed in other languages (witness Lisp, Algol, Fortran,
PL/1, Simula) as Basic was being inoculated to innocent victims. That
shameful hack passing for a language doesn't deserve the status of
ancestor achievement you imply for it. Leave that to Bill Gates.

Boris Borcic