Replacing excel: but with what ?

Pekka Niiranen krissepu at vip.fi
Sat Mar 23 13:54:36 EST 2002

Does anybody have a recommendation of what GUI to use in Windows to
build
an spreadsheet view of a dictionary. Application should support
+, - , * and division -operations between cells, columns and rows.
The size of the grid would be at maximum 2000 rows x 2000 cells.

I am plotting values to 2D -grid and giving string replacements for
individual cells.
One row consists of values in a file. Column -values are an union of
all parameters found from all files. I would like to copy values
from a selected cell to all rows. Grid should also support row
and column-wise sorts.

I can allready create and start an Excel -sheet after parsing the file
contents
with re-execs. I am using WxPython for the toolbar, but sticking with
Excel worries me. Plus I do not have a use for all of its features.

WxWindows has a grid, but does anybody have experience of its stability
?
I have managed to crash its demo that comes with WxPython...

-pekka-