Is Python an object based programming langauge?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at acm.org
Tue Mar 12 00:52:42 EST 2002

Tim Hammerquist <tim at vegeta.ath.cx> wrote:
> Graz Bukanoff <drevenhaug at hotmail.com> graced us by uttering:
> > Is Python an object based programming langauge?
>
> According to Smalltalk enthusiasts, definitely not.
>
> According to some Pythonistas, yes.
>
> IMNERHO, Python is object _oriented_, but not object _based_. I don't
> fault Python for this; it was a design decision, and probably a good
> one.
>
> If the question were "Can Python model my OOP idea?", the answer is an
> emphatic yes.

That depends somewhat on your OOP idea.

If the OOP idea is to use classes to define a hierarchy of methods,
then sure.

If your "OOP idea" is to have generic functions ala CLOS, or to do
FLAVORS-style mixins, then possibly not.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn@" "enworbbc"))
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/wp.html