trackers (was: zlib vulnerabilities and python)

Andy McKay amckay at merlinsoftech.com
Wed Mar 13 18:10:34 EST 2002

On March 13, 2002 02:36 pm, Richard Jones wrote:
> > With bugzilla you can explicitly add yourself and remove yourself from
> > the Cc lists of bugs. With roundup you get plopped onto a the nosy list
> > of a bug by responding to traffic on the discussion.
> > [snip]
> > Roundup's use of the subject line of emails to carry bug attributes did
> > not, in our experience, scale well.
>
> Have you investigated roundup recently? That is, since it was re-written
> from scratch using the spec from the Software Carpentry project? Or are you
> just making these statements based on several-year-old-knowledge?

Yes I have and its much more than the Roundup Ping wrote. I was impressed by
the quick play i had with the most recent version of Roundup, I don't know
about a detailed feature comparison though, hopefully some of the more
annoying features of the old Roundup have been patched / thrown out.

Roundup has always struck me as a more of an issue tracker rather than a bug
tracker which Bugzilla is aimed at. Bugzilla has lots of features and
problems as well, but add email support to Bugzilla and you have a good
scalable database with more features than Roundup. Unfortunately its in Perl
:)

I would recommend looking at both them to any one installing a bug tracker,
but lets face it, the Python isnt likely to change soon ;)
--
  Andy McKay