Where is quote (again)?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Sat Mar 9 11:31:23 EST 2002

Paul Rubin <phr-n2002a at nightsong.com> writes:

> Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> writes:
> > The combination of lazy evaluation and non-functional semantics are
> > only good for creating confusion.
> >
> >          functional        non-functional
> > strict       ml                 python
> > lazy       haskell               brrr
>
> What do xrange, xreadlines, etc. do, if not lazy evaluation?

I was talking about lazy (or to be accurate, non-strict) evaluation as
being a property of the language.

In Haskell-talk a function is strict if it evaluates to bottom when
applied to bottom (here "bottom" is the "result" of evaluating an
invalid expression, say a non-terminating loop or 1/0).

See here for more info:

http://www.haskell.org/tutorial/functions.html#sect3.3

This concept doesn't really exist in Python because all functions --
including xrange, xreadlines & co -- are strict in all arguments.

Cheers,
M.

--
  There's an aura of unholy black magic about CLISP.  It works, but
  I have no idea how it does it.  I suspect there's a goat involved