Binary generation with distutils? (Freeze, py2exe, etc.)

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at vier.idi.ntnu.no
Wed Mar 20 22:55:14 EST 2002

In article <m3pu1z91y6.fsf at mira.informatik.hu-berlin.de>, Martin v.
Loewis wrote:
>mlh at vier.idi.ntnu.no (Magnus Lie Hetland) writes:
>
>> I know there are several solutions available for building standalone
>> binary executables from Python programs (Freeze, py2exe, McMillan
>> Installer, etc.) -- I just wondered if it would be possible to add
>> functionality like this to distutils?
>
>That is certainly possible; freeze would be the obvious choice for
>such a mechanism (IMO).

Hm. I just tried freeze (with a simple 'print "Hello, world"') script
and it failed miserably, after first having frozen almost all the
modules in the standard library. In my experience (not very extensive
in this area), both py2exe and the McMillan installer have performed
much better... But that may be my fault, of course.

> Alas, distutils is unmaintained,

Really? A pity.

> so don't wait
> for anybody else to implement it for you.

I guess not. There is always the hope that if one gripes about
something someone else will be inspired to do something about it ;)

Oh, well. Maybe when I get lots of extra time...

--
Magnus Lie Hetland                                  The Anygui Project
http://hetland.org                                  http://anygui.org