how to give an object as argument for a method

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Mar 7 21:08:12 EST 2002

Marco Herrn wrote:

> If a have a method with the defininion 'f(self)' I call this method only
> with 'f()'. So the declaration doesn't look the same like the call.

There are times where you *do* explicitly pass
in self, mainly when calling inherited methods,
e.g.

  class C(D):
    def __init__(self):
      D.__init__(self) # Initialise my base class

So if "self" were implicit, then *this* would be
a case where the call didn't match the definition.
You can't win!

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg