Attachments to the list/group - OK? (Was Re: Popular style document?)

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Mar 20 22:32:38 EST 2002

Dietmar Lang wrote:

> Well, there are things such as binaries or images groups where people
> constantly exchange files. Can't you simply attach them, or do they post
> them inline?

Using an attachment for that makes fairly good sense
in this day and age, given that MIME-aware mail and
news readers are pretty widespread... provided that
posting it to a newsgroup is really appropriate in
the first place.

Binaries groups came into existence before we had
the Web. Now that we do, posting a link to a web
site is usually preferable to posting anything
large to a newsgroup.

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg