Binary generation with distutils? (Freeze, py2exe, etc.)

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Wed Mar 20 04:06:04 EST 2002

"Magnus Lie Hetland" <mlh at vier.idi.ntnu.no> wrote in message news:slrna9fqje.k50.mlh at vier.idi.ntnu.no...
> In article <Xns91D71B945C087cliechtigmxnet at 62.2.16.82>, Chris Liechti wrote:
> >mlh at vier.idi.ntnu.no (Magnus Lie Hetland) wrote in
> >news:slrna9fkli.9ti.mlh at vier.idi.ntnu.no:
> >
> [snip]
> >
> >as i understand py2exe it does exactly that. it adds a new target
> >"py2exe" so that disutils have a new target name.
> >
> >i.e "python setup.py py2exe" generates the exe+dlls in the dist dir
>
> Yes, I realise that, but...
>
>   1. It only works on Windows; working on all platforms (as when
>      compiling extensions with distutils) would be desirable;

Gordon's installer also works on linux (and solaris?).
Myself I'm only working on windows, so there is no need for me
to extend py2exe to work on linux systems. If anyone is willing
to provide patches for linux (or other systems), and is willing
to maintain them, I will happily add him as developer ;-).

Thomas