PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Mar 31 05:28:59 EST 2002

philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk (phil hunt) writes:

> That *is* a valid reason. However, it must be decided whether
> Python's primary goal is to be easy to learn or easy to use.

I think this has been decided; many educators are interested in using
Python in school (at all levels of education).

> This proposal makes it easier to learn in some respects, but adds
> difficulty as well, as the user must learn a new data type, albeit
> a rather simple one.

This should not be a problem. The notion of boolean values must be
understood, anyway, and wordings like "[],{},None, ..., 'count as
true'" are more easy to understand (IMO) if there really is the thing
they count as.

Regards,
Martin