Python socket problems

Freddie oinkfreddie at oinkmadcowdisease.oinkorg
Sun Mar 31 22:40:35 EST 2002

Hi,

I'm having quite a bit of trouble with some code I've written in Python
recently. The program itself is an offer bot (think iroffer), and it uses
python-irclib to handle the IRC stuff. There's a thread that handles DCC SEND
transfers using select and non-blocking sockets.

The problem is, if several sends are active (say, using ports 31000 through
31002), starting a new send will quite often cause earlier sends to time out.
I have no idea what this problem is, it doesn't _seem_ to be a call blocking
(for 90 seconds?). I've tried starting a single thread per send, but that
seemed to create more problems than it solved (file read calls returning
nothing, when they weren't EOF?).

Anyone have any idea? I can send the relevant code parts via e-mail, if you
need them.

Thanks,
  Freddie