Has Mark Hammond attained pariah status yet?

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 13 22:33:30 EST 2002

Gerhard Häring:

> You're of course right. Has anybody tried their .NET SDK,
> yet. Does it contain a usable commandline version of VC++7?

   The .NET SDK contains a usable compiler but as mentioned it does not
optimize. You may need to download extra include and library files such as
those provided by the Platform SDK which is also free. I already had these
from an earlier version of Visual C++. You may also need a version of STL
such as the free STLPort.

   The code produced is not fast or small but works well enough for
applications that are not performance sensitive.

   The mingw version of gcc and Borland's free C++ compiler are packaged
better than the free version of Microsoft's compiler and they include
optimization.

   Neil