Chewing international (unicode) filenames on windows?

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Tue Mar 19 04:50:21 EST 2002

Martin v. Loewis:
> "Neil Hodgson" <nhodgson at bigpond.net.au> writes:
>
> >    Unfortunately, I haven't had time recently to push the PEP any
further.
> > I'm also less certain of its cost / benefit ratio than I was initially
as it
> > does complexify the Python library code a bit.
>
> I still think this is the way to go. For character data, use Unicode
> where you can - in particular if the operating system interface
> supports that, as well.

   It is the right approach but in terms of packaging its a mess and this
will have a maintenance cost. Perhaps moving all the NT specific Unicode
handling into a separate file would help although I haven't seen a clean way
to do that either as it will then require a bunch of forwarding functions.
If there was a good way to subclass posixmodule for this code...

   Neil