GUI programming

Charl P. Botha cpbotha at i_triple_e.org
Sat Mar 30 07:16:16 EST 2002

In article <a84561$p5g$1 at wanadoo.fr>, Emmanuelgagniere wrote:
> wxpython is the best one
>
> Umesh Persad <upersad at tstt.net.tt> a écrit dans le message :
> mailman.1017437568.25402.python-list at python.org...
>> available. I am wondering which one should I use
>> (tkinter, wxpython?) that will be simple enough
>> to get me up and running qiuckly. Also are there
>> any examples that I can look at?

I'm not denying that wxPython is a very powerful UI library, but the fact
that Tkinter is included with Python and that Tk is installed on most *ix
systems by default (and very easy to install on windows systems) should not
be underestimated.

With wxPython, one has to get, configure and build wxWindows first (and this
does take quite a while).  If on *ix, one has to make sure that one has a
current/functional installation of GTK, which could potentially mean
configuring and building once again.  After all of this, wxPython itself has
to be made.  All in all, this can be very frustrating to new users.

My 2c,