Binary generation with distutils? (Freeze, py2exe, etc.)

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 19 15:15:54 EST 2002

Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:

> - Magnus (who also is a bit baffled as to why distutils doesn't
> include an "uninstall" command, such as the one implemented by
> Thomas Heller.)

Amen. It's incredibly annoying to have to tell users that a simple python
setup.py install does the trick as far as splattering files all over their
system, but that there's no reasonable way of undoing the process easily.

I realize how busy the core team is, but I truly hope that in the future
someone finds time to give distutils a serious revamp. It's sorely needed,
and it's IMHO a key piece of the python puzzle as a solid, wide-availability,
cross-platform language.

Oh well...

f.