PEP 276 -- What else could iter(5) mean?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Mar 2 22:02:22 EST 2002

"Cromwell, Jeremy" wrote:

> If python was to allow "for i in 5:", is there any other meaning that would
> be appropriate besides the one detailed in PEP 276?

Certainly, at least to a newcomer.

I think I would expect that to do either the same as "for i=1 to 5: next"
or to just do "5" only.  After all, if I have a list of things and
"for" iterates through them, then wouldn't it make sense for a scalar
to result in iteration over only one item?

(I don't care to argue, but you asked and I believe both those
could be considered "appropriate".  I'm not the BDFL though.)