PEP Parade

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Fri Mar 8 16:04:45 EST 2002

Quoth Roy Smith <roy at panix.com>:
| "Tim Peters" <tim at zope.com> wrote:
| > Note that Guido wants to keep 2.3 free of new core language features.  You
| > can deduce that from reading the essay, or-- like me --you can just believe
| > it because it's true <wink>.  There's a huge backlog of good ideas for
| > improving the internals and libraries, and I wouldn't be surprised to see
| > the focus remain there for 2.4 too.
|
| Not touching the core language is a Good Thing.    It's really tough to
| convince people that python is a viable tool when it's a moving target.
|
| It's been somewhat of an uphill battle to get my development group to
| accept the fact that I write tools for the whole group's use in python.
| Having the core language change from version to version just makes it
| worse, as we discover imcompatabilities between whatever version I'm using
| to develop on and whateve they're running on their boxes.  Telling people,
| "Oh, you need to upgrade to version X" gets old pretty fast.  As the saying
| goes, "if you're explaining, you've already lost."

I have proposed before that those of us who are into having
a viable tool instead of a moving target, should just pick one
and stick with it.  2.1.1, for example.  Of course you and I
can do that, solving the problems with our respective groups -
but putting us in kind of a backwater.  If we sort of collectively
agree on 2.1.1 (or whatever) for that role, though, that backwater
could get pretty lively.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu