HP-UX 10.2 deprecated?

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Tue Mar 5 12:01:22 EST 2002

Quoth martin at v.loewis.de (Martin v. Loewis):
| weeks at vitus.scs.agilent.com (Greg Weeks) writes:
|> PS: Here's the problem with the Python 2.2 ./configure for HP-UX 10.2.  To
|> determine if _POSIX_THREADS is defined in unistd.h, it runs the C
|> preprocessor on a file with the contents:
|>
|> #include <unistd.h>
|>      #ifdef _POSIX_THREADS
|>      yes
|>      #endif
|>
|> Unfortunately, with the C preprocessor invocation used by ./configure, the
|> indented #ifdef is not recognized, which results in the #ifdef construct
|> being mindlessly echoed, which is erroneously interpreted as the answer
|> "yes".  This causes _POSIX_THREADS to not be defined in pyconfig.h,
|> resulting in a bunch of undefined thread-related functions at link time.
|
| What C compiler? I doubt that aCC (which is available for 10.20 as
| well) has this problem; do not use the bundled C compiler for anything.

I can confirm that tolerance for this isn't universal.  "cc" on Digital
UNIX 4.0 won't recognize indented #if either, just as reported above.
It isn't portable.

BTW, it has been some years since I used HPUX 10.20, but at the time
we used "cc" for most everything, usually with "-Ae" to support modern
C usage.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu