Random...

A.M. Kuchling akuchlin at ute.mems-exchange.org
Wed Mar 27 10:06:35 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1017235723.15647.python-list at python.org>,
	Chris Gonnerman wrote:
> Perhaps I'm stupid... what the heck is wrong with the OP's message?

Original material was added at the top of the post, and the entire
message being responded to was quoted below.  Usenet convention is to
do it the way I'm writing this message, by quoting only the few lines
of text I'm responding to and writing my answer below.  Doing this way
makes it much easier to pick up a thread in the middle, saves
bandwidth, and users reading the digested version of python-list don't
have to plow through 187 quoted copies of the same text again and
again.

I also view top-posting as rude; it implies the top-posting person's
time is so valuable they can't be bothered to edit down the quoted
text, but it's OK to waste *my* time by making me dig through levels
upon levels of quoted material.

--amk                                                             (www.amk.ca)
Burroughs did something very odd with COBOL at one point (and no, it
wasn't The Naked Lunch).
    -- Will Rose, 27 May 2000