Java and Python

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Thu Mar 21 10:05:58 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1016688814.7930.python-list at python.org>,
Gerhard =?iso-8859-15?Q?H=E4ring?=  <gerhard at bigfoot.de> wrote:
>* Rich Salz <r.salz at verizon.net> [2002-03-21 04:31 +0000]:
>>

>> Cameron Laird wrote:
>> >I'm still looking for a way to get this point across:  the
>> >answer to many questions is, "There's no such thing."  No
>> >one plays the role for Python that Sun plays for Java.
>>
>> Hmm..  Both provide a reference implementation, both provide a community
>> process for suggesting improvements (but still retain the right to do
>> what they think best)...  what's missing?
>
>Both just are 'infrastructure' for the company behind them, they don't
>make money directly from it.
			.
			.
			.
Rich's question is a reasonable one.  I recognize that
I'm a bit touchy on the subject.  My experience is that,
when people start asking this question, they generally
have more interest in accusing Python of deficiencies
than in sound engineering analysis.

So, for example, I've heard that Python isn't as serious
as Java because it's not possible to hire "Zope-certified
Python Engineers".  Sun does that for Java, Zope doesn't
for Python, therefore Python isn't as trustworthy as
Java.

It feels to me like a species of colonialism to require
Python (for example) to do and be everything that Java
(for example) is, but also better.  I've simply never
had a conversation that started that way conclude in a
productive way.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net