yenc encoding?

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer at conectiva.com
Sun Mar 24 15:36:45 EST 2002

> > Does someone work on a yenc-encoder/decoder for python? Both "base64"
> > and "binascii" are there in the python standard library, after all.
> >
> > Just wondering: Should an implementation for a new encoding follow the
> > base64-model (that is, have four funcs encode, encodes, decode,
> > decodes) or the binascii-modell (a2b_yenc,b2a_yenc) or something
> > totally different altogether?
>
> You might want to take a look at
>
> http://www.exit109.com/~jeremy/news/yenc.html
>
> The guy seems to make very valid points.

-----
Conclusions

I, and others, have repeatedly pointed out what is wrong with yEnc, and
we have been ignored. Unfortunately, it has the big selling point of
smaller encoding, so getting users to accept it and to demand support
for it from their newsreaders has been remarkably easy, and yEnc has
spread across Usenet like a plague.
-----

Heh.. that's the real world. He should be helping yEnc's author to
integrate it into the MIME standards instead of writing such a long
critique. I could keep talking for hours about why SMTP, TCPIP, and
dozens of standards we use are "bad", but they implemented something
necessary at their time. If yEnc has spread across usenet, it's too
late.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer

[ 2AAC 7928 0FBF 0299 5EB5  60E2 2253 B29A 6664 3A0C ]