Indentation problem

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Mar 25 10:03:39 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1017062259.25098.python-list at python.org>,
Gilles Diribarne  <gdiribarne at udcast.com> wrote:

>2/ Programmers wants independence: some wants to manage building blocks
>with spaces, other with tabs, some wants length = 4 with tabs.
>I would like to use my own programming style! But, my code risks to be
>not supported by others.

Bingo!  That's why you should follow Guido style.  Like the tight
structure of a sonnet, what you lose in freedom of format, you gain in
freedom from thinking about format.  Really, it works much better; I
fought on your side for a couple of years before I Saw The Light.

>2/ Emacs and a great number of editors cannot indent region, since the
>building blocks are only in programmer's mind.

Not true, AFAIK.  Have you tried using Emacs in Python mode?

>3/ A large number of programming language use this. C, PERL, Ruby, ...
>Why not Python?

Because those languages are not built on actual human factors research;
Python is based on ABC.  Find out some info about ABC before you make
further comments.

"We should forget about small efficiencies, about 97% of the time.
Premature optimization is the root of all evil."  --Knuth