Chewing international (unicode) filenames on windows?

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Mar 21 01:01:03 EST 2002

"Neil Hodgson" <nhodgson at bigpond.net.au> writes:

>    I may be in an over-design mode but I've seen large modules (posixmodule
> is 150K of fairly dense code) go bad through poor redesign before.

An important observation is that significant parts of it won't be used
on nt (all the Posix functions that NT does not provide). Likewise for
Posix systems (all the Win32 wrappers). So after merely duplicating it,
and removing then-dead code, it won't be 300k.

>    BTW, I'm not volunteering to redesign posixmodule. My original change was
> just to allow the file constructor to take a Unicode string which is to me
> the biggest gain in functionality.

Given recent comments, I'd argue that most users would disagree. The
only complaints about the status quo I've seen are "you can't list the
directory; you'll get question marks". Users wouldn't even worry about
not getting the names, if they wouldn't be calling stat() to find out
file information. So far, nobody has complained that opening a file
with "funny characters" is not possible.

So I'd say os.listdir and os.stat are the functions that most
desperately need full Unicode support.

Regards,
Martin