PEP 282: A Logging System -- comments please

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sat Mar 9 12:53:17 EST 2002

Edward K. Ream wrote:

> > except that in real systems, the end user couldn't care less
> > about what/when/how your Python functions are called.
> >
> > they do care about syslog-compatibility, severity levels, and
> > trivial things like getting the same logging messages also after
> > you've refactored your program...
>
> I was talking about functionality, not packaging.  Naturally, a logger
> would be a class.

hmm.  I'm pretty sure you said:

    ... the trace function uses the name of the method from
    which trace was called as the tracepoint string ....

and

    ... the app (or tracing object) maintains a dict of enabled
    tracepoint names. The user can add or delete entries in
    the dict at run time ...

which doesn't work in the kind of real-life applications I build, but
where PEP 282 would work right out of the box.

...but maybe you meant something else.

(after all, you also said "These will be my last words on this
subject" in an earlier post... ;-)

</F>