Python on W2K server and dos batch files?

Anthony_Barker anthony_barker at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 6 23:32:17 EST 2002

"Mark Kingston" <mkingston at -at-shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<3c866f0c$1_2 at axion.net>...
> Hello Experts,
>
> I've been looking into the possibility of using Python as a scripting
> language for use on our Windows 2000 Server with Terminal Services and
> Citrix Metaframe XPa.  The reason I'm looking into a scripting language
> instead of a compiled program is that I need to add new functionality to the
> programs often.  The scripting program will also serve as a "launch pad" for
> other DOS batch files and compiled console applications.

Works fine - I wrote some scripts to monitoring some servers at a
Canadian Bank.I recommend the ActiveState distro as you will be using
windows, I found it includes more 'extras'... Also checkout their
website for some sample scripts.

> 1. Create a GUI (wxPython?) which will be used for server administration
> purposes such as automatically displaying a list of NT users on a form and
> allowing the user to select which user to enable or disable.
TK may be better for a quick gui. You can access the NT directory via
COM or do   LDAP lookups.

> 2. Create a GUI which will allow a user to launch other scripts such as DOS
> batch files, Windows programs and console programs.

No problem... But you may end up wanting to rewrite the batch files in
python as it is more flexible. I can send you some example scripts if
need be. Use windows 'Pipes'.

> 3. The GUI should also be able to capture the output of console programs and
> display it on it's own text box or panel.
fine

> 4. Perform advanced text file manipulation.
Excellent