fork and thread and signal... oooooops

Jonathan Gardner jgardn at alumni.washington.edu
Thu Mar 7 19:42:49 EST 2002

Jonathan Hogg scribbled with his keyboard:

> On 7/3/2002 11:46, in article MeIh8.104$_Z4.397 at news.hananet.net,
> "Jonathan Gardner" <jgardn at alumni.washington.edu> wrote:
[snip]

> The main reason why one wouldn't want to write an init script in Python is
> that you might not have Python available when you need it most. A
> statically linked 'sh' (and the useful subtools) residing on the boot
> volume is a standard feature of any UNIX (or should be).
>
> If pretty much everything else fails, you generally know that you can get
> to a single user prompt and run shell scripts. If you've severely mangled
> some library installations your Python may very well be toast - or it may
> be on a file system that just got hosed.

It takes a good sysadmin to give us all a reality check every once in a
while. I remember at my job how they would state the plain obvious - "What
if that machine crashes? What then?" Stuff that no one would even dream of,
but was perfectly possible and actually happened.

> Of course this is old-skool sysadmin. These days I guess you just boot
> from the emergency CD and press the repair button or something ;-)

If only that were true... =)

Jonathan