Dictionary Comprehension

Aahz aahzpy at panix.com
Wed Mar 20 13:34:32 EST 2002

In article <7xsn6w9pad.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
Paul Rubin  <phr-n2002a at nightsong.com> wrote:

>Also, if adding dict comprehensions really require "major hacking in
>the parser, the bytecode compiler, and the virtual machine", then IMO
>a code cleanup is needed that's much larger in scope than adding one
>feature.  Certainly no change to the VM should be needed at all, since
>the dict comprehension is equivalent to a for loop, and the compiler
>can generate the exact same code as the for loop would have.  The
>parser and compiler would need a patch, but I'd hope it wouldn't be
>"major hacking".

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But, in
practice, there is."  --Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

As it happens, though, part of the work planned for 2.3 is to start
doing some cleanup work.

The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question, but
to post the wrong information.  --Aahz