PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Mar 31 01:47:55 EST 2002

Ken Peek wrote:

> I don't see that adding a "bool" (or better: "boolean", since I HATE
> abbreviated words) would be such a big issue.

Agreed on that point.  "bool" would be less clear to newcomers and
possibly those with limited English.  (Vague assumption there that
those people might have heard of Boolean algebra but might not
link it to the shorter form as quickly.)

Besides, if we're doing this to look like the other languages,
don't they use "boolean" more often?  (I realize that's not
really the reason for doing this.)