The language vs. the environment

John Baxter jwbaxter at spamcop.net
Wed Mar 6 22:58:34 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1015449438.31833.python-list at python.org>,
 Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

> There has been a huge amount of recent PEP activity related to further
> enhancements to the language.  I think in general that if more of this
> energy was directed at the overall environment (library, support tools,
> installers, documentation, etc) we'd be better off in the long run.

Thanks, Skip!

More and more often, I look at a language-domain proposal, and think:
    1. that might be nice...it makes good sense
    2. do we need to tinker with the language that way?
    3. probably not

PEP 284 triggered that sequence, and hasn't yet triggered the next step:
    4. well OK, probably this one is justified.

I used 284 just as an example, not to pick on it.

  --John