HP-UX, PyThread_* missing

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Mar 17 03:56:52 EST 2002

weeks at vitus.scs.agilent.com (Greg Weeks) writes:

> Martin v. Loewis (martin at v.loewis.de) wrote:
> : In any case, the common understanding is that Python does not really
> : support threads on HP-UX, and probably never will unless some HP-UX
> : user who understands all the issues provides patches.
>
> Still, I've been using threads with HP-UX 10.2 and Python 1.5.2 for months
> now.  (Maybe I haven't stressed it.)  Also, "make test" passed cleanly with
> HP-UX 11 and Python 2.2.  It seems to be the combination of HP-UX 10.2 and
> Python 2.2 that is causing trouble.

Yes, threads work well on HP-UX 11; for HP threw away the thread
implementation and rewrote it from scratch. I believe that the thread
library of HP-UX 10.20 has problems that also could be demonstrated
with Python 1.5 - it's only that the test suite of Python 1.5 does not
demonstrate them.

Regards,
Martin