Windows GUI - which way?

Spencer Ernest Doidge spencer at efn.org
Sat Mar 2 16:27:06 EST 2002

Thank you for this reply.
I have another question that you sound unusually well-qualified to answer:

I want to maintain and use a library of Python scripts. I want to invoke
any script from this library by using a GUI app. The script itself would
have no GUI features. It would be sending and receiving serial port
messages. (This is like the script I am already running.)

Some frequently-used scripts would be invoked directly from a Tools menu,
others would be named in a File/Open dialog. I want to begin execution of
the script by using either a menu, a dialog, or a toolbar icon. When the
execution begins, I want to be able to abort the script at any time by
either a dialog button, a menu item, or a toolbar icon.

If I write the GUI app all in Python, is it a simple matter to, say, load
and run the script in its own thread, and have it be responsive to a
signal from the main thread telling it to abort?

Those are the must-have features.

For nice-to-haves, it would be nice to display some sort of output, even a
progress control (thermometer, or whatever one calls it), or some text in
an output window, the way it's done in Visual C++ when you build a
project.

Do you know of straightforward ways to accomplish the must-haves?

What about the nice-to-haves?

Thanks very much in advance for taking the time to read and reply to
this post.

Spencer Doidge
www.spencerdoidge.com