Windows Installation

Jonathan Gardner jgardn at alumni.washington.edu
Sat Mar 16 08:59:04 EST 2002

Peter Hansen scribbled with his keyboard:

> Jonathan Gardner wrote:
>> I run a free software project that is trying to keep things compatible
>> with Windows and Linux. So that means I am in *deep trouble* because I
>> can't test windows directly. BUT! I do have a few guys who run windows
>> and do try stuff out very actively. Unfortunately, they can't code well
>> enough to do this themselves.
>
> I guess this means they aren't techie enough to run one of the
> installers for you to package up your Windows distribution?
> That's a bummer. :(  Maybe you can find a volunteer to help
> you, who can do just packaging and not have to do any testing?

It's not that we don't know how to figure stuff out, it's just that none of
us have ever tried anything like this, and we are trying to get a start.
Looking at the list (see below) of free installers, it sure does look very
easy to use those tools.

>> To... http://www.wxwindows.org/technote/install.htm ? =)
>
> Yes.

You are right. I'll trust Google more in the future.

>> I did try looking on google, and it looks like I have a choice between:
>>
>> a) Windows Installer
>> b) WISE
>>
>> None of which seem to be free. I remember a long time ago that there was
>> a popular installer offering a free version for free software. Was I just
>> seeing things or was that so?
>
> Why is that the only choice?  On that page it says those are commercial,
> then lists five _free_ ones (not sure about GPL status).  Are none of
> those listed appropriate?  (Why?)

No, these are very appropriate. I apologize for not reading the page
closely.

Jonathan