should i learn it first ?

Greg Weeks weeks at vitus.scs.agilent.com
Sat Mar 9 10:53:12 EST 2002

Paul Rubin (phr-n2002a at nightsong.com) wrote:
: The thing is, to really understand C++, you have to spend time working
: on multi-programmer projects.  If you only program by yourself, some
: parts of C++ will never make sense to you.

I don't see the complexity of C++ as deriving solely from the needs of
large software projects.  Suppose that performance was not an issue.  Then
Java is similarly suitable for large software projects.  Yet Java is *much*
simpler that C++.

I can't argue the point here, but the complexity of C++ derives ultimately
from the performance issue of object allocation/deallocation.  C++ allows
allocation on the stack, and it allows customized allocation on the heap.
The complexity price is high for this.

Indeed, the price is so high that I wish C++ would go away (even though the
Standard Template Library is slick).  So, Original Poster, I'd recommend
that you learn C for high-performance and for closeness to the machine.
Avoid C++.

Greg