IDiscMaster interface

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Thu Mar 28 13:53:32 EST 2002

Chris Gonnerman wrote:

> I have been investigating the IDiscMaster interface implemented
> in Windows XP.  It appears to be a COM interface (I'm a Linux/Unix
> type of guy and know very little about Windows internals), but I
> can find no type library.  Has anyone else used this interface
> (component, whatever) via Python?  I'd really like to be able
> to burn CD's automatically for backup purposes.

Note that there are (effectively) two types of COM interfaces --
"custom" and "automation" (I'm not sure I've got the terms exactly
right, but...)  Pythoncom currently only handles automation interfaces
(which were inteded to be used from scripting languages), not custom
interfaces (which were effectively intended to be used from C++).  As
I understand it, in order to handle a custom interface (which I am
guessing the IDiscMaster interface is), you'd need to delve deep into
the internals of pythoncom.  Of course, I'd *love* to be proved wrong
about this...  ;)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International