importing C libraries, Solaris2.6, gcc2.95 :(

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Mar 1 15:55:41 EST 2002

rsalz at zolera.com (Rich Salz) writes:

> I have a Solaris 2.6 machine, gcc 2.95.3 installed in /usr/local;
> /usr/local/bin is in my $PATH ; /usr/ccs/bin is not in my $PATH. I
> have python 2.1.1 sources; I did "./configure" with no flags.
> Attempting to import any library that includes a C shared library
> fails with the same backtrace:

I think I've seen this before, but I can't find it, and I don't think
it was resolved the last time.

It sounds like a compiler/linker bug to me: The argument to
SetItemString which is out of bounds *literally* comes from the
methods array. Please try inspecting methods in the the gdb stack
trace (up;up;up;up;p methods[0] - or some such). If this is still an
invalid string, try finding out whether the compiler correctly passed
address of _tkinter.c:moduleMethods. If that is the case, most likely
the static or dynamic linker has messed up with relocations.

What linker are you using? You may want to apply the latest patch
cluster.

Regards,
Martin