PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sun Mar 31 14:38:41 EST 2002

[Erik Max Francis]
> Excessive attempts to make terms more approachable can lead to disaster
> in the degenerate case, resulting in just a new form of terminology that
> now nobody understands.

People should be aware that Guido is acutely sensitive to that:  ABC went
out of its way to invent new "friendly" terms for everything, and indeed
that just increased ABC's isolation.  Like, instead of "string" it used
"text", instead of "function" it was "how-to", and if you still can't guess
what ABC meant by "train", I don't blame you <wink -- as a hint, a text is
one kind of train -- as a really great hint, the answer is "sequence">.
About ABC's notion of truth:

    A predicate-how-to defines the meaning of a new predicate ...
    Predicates are used in examinations, which are a special case
    of tests. ... Tests do not return a value, but succeed or fail
    via the report, succeed and fail commands.

IOW, cutting thru the unique terminology, ABC finessed the "bool or truth?"
question by not having any such datatype, and, e.g., the set of expressions
allowable after an "if" had no intersection with those allowable as what you
think of as the right-hand-side of an assignment statement (which ABC called
putting a value in a location, via the PUT command).