PARTIAL SOLUTION: Compiling Python 2.2 with GCC in HPUX 10.20 does not work

pekka niiranen krissepu at vip.fi
Fri Mar 8 03:27:08 EST 2002

First of all, thank you guys for your help.

I managed to compile Python 2.2 in HP-UX 10.20 with the following hacks:

1)    I downloaded and installed from http://hpux.connect.org.uk/ the
following
    dynamically linked precompiled software depots:

     binutils                     2.11.2
     gcc                           3.0.1
     make                       3.79.1

    These all installed automatically into /opt -directory, since I used
"swinstall -s" -command:

     swinstall -s make-3.79.1-sd-10.20.depot make

2)    I also downloaded from http://hpux.connect.org.uk/ HP's sources
for ncurses-5.2

    HP-UX Source Code (gzipped) [HTTP] [FTP]
    (Size: 1.74 MB, Archived: 12 Jan 2001, View contents)

    and unzipped+tared it to a temporary directory.

3)    I removed HP's default compiler's location /usr/css/bin from my
/etc/PATH -file
    and changed the link in /usr/bin to point to installed gmake:

     /usr/bin/make@ -> /opt/make/bin/gmake

    I also added /opt/make/bin and /opt/gcc/bin to my PATH.

4)    I configured ncurses with the following script:

    #! /usr/bin/sh
    unset LANG
    TERM=vt100
    gmake distclean
    CC=gcc ./configure --with-gcc --with-shared --without-cxx
--prefix=/usr/local --without-ada --without-debug

5)    I edited the resulting Makefile in subdirectory
ncurses-5.2/ncurses by adding the -fpic variable to line 96:

    CFLAGS_SHARED   = $(CCFLAGS) -fPIC -fpic

6)    I compiled and installed ncurses with commands:

    make
    make install

    My /usr/local/lib/ -directory:

    libcurses.sl@ -> libncurses.sl
    104294 Mar  8 08:41 libform.a
    102955 Mar  8 08:41 libform.sl*
    52572 Mar  8 08:41 libmenu.a
    49377 Mar  8 08:41 libmenu.sl*
    531110 Mar  8 08:41 libncurses.a
    595297 Mar  8 08:41 libncurses.sl*
    20948 Mar  8 08:41 libpanel.a
    20538 Mar  8 08:41 libpanel.sl*
    terminfo@ -> ../share/terminfo

    My /usr/local/include/ -directory:

    60691 Mar  8 08:41 curses.h
       2825 Mar  8 08:41 eti.h
    16091 Mar  8 08:41 form.h
      10951 Mar  8 08:41 menu.h
       ncurses.h@ -> curses.h
    3434 Mar  8 08:41 panel.h
       3168 Mar  8 08:41 termcap.h
      36954 Mar  8 08:41 term.h
       2957 Mar  8 08:41 unctrl.h

7)    Python-2.2 source I edited by adding line "int h_errno;" to
Modules/socketmodule.c at line 161 just above the
    '#ifndef RISCOS' block:

    int h_errno;

    #ifndef RISCOS
    #include <fcntl.h>
    #else
    #include <sys/fcntl.h>
    #define NO_DUP
    int h_errno; /* not used */
    #endif
    #else

8)    I configured python with script:
    #! /usr/bin/sh
    unset LANG
    gmake distclean
    CC=gcc ./configure --with-gcc --with-threads=no --without-cxx
--prefix=/opt/python
    gmake

9)    When running "gmake test", I still get error:

    test test_fpformat failed -- Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "./Lib/test/test_fpformat.py", line 51, in test_reasonable_values
        self.checkFix(realVal, d)
      File "./Lib/test/test_fpformat.py", line 28, in checkFix
        self.assertEquals(result, expected)
      File
"/osasto/home/niirape/python_softa/Python-2.2/Lib/unittest.py", line
286, in failUnlessEqual
        raise self.failureException, \
    AssertionError: '-0' != '0'

    And summary looks like:

    1 test failed:     test_fpformat
    33 tests skipped:
        test_al test_asynchat test_bsddb test_cd test_cl test_curses
        test_dl test_fork1 test_gdbm test_gl test_gzip test_imgfile
        test_largefile test_linuxaudiodev test_locale test_minidom
        test_nis test_ntpath test_openpty test_pyexpat test_sax
        test_socket_ssl test_socketserver test_sunaudiodev test_thread
        test_threaded_import test_threadedtempfile test_threading
        test_unicode_file test_winreg test_winsound test_zipfile test_zlib

    Ask someone to teach regrtest.py about which tests are
    expected to get skipped on hp-ux10.
    make: *** [test] Error 1

10)    After gmake install python starts OK. Maybe it is OK now ;).

-pekka-