Deitel and Deitel Book...

Anthony_Barker anthony_barker at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 1 11:12:21 EST 2002

"DeepBleu" <DeepBleu at DeepBleu.org> wrote in message
> Deitel and Deitel book on Python?  I personally would not touch it.  Give me
> a book written by Lutz, Holden or Hammond any time.  But not from the
> establishment of Deitel.  I bet you they do not even know how to program in
> Python.  All their books are churned out by what resembles an
> industry-complex with standard issue.
> Long ago I discovered a mistake in their old C++ How to Program.  I sent
> them an e-mail.  The answer still brings vivd memories of when you feel like
> throwing up.  Arrogant bunch of oppurtunists who are not worth the price of
> the paper their books are printed on.
> You want books on Python:  Buy Beazley, Lundh, Holden, Hammond, Greyson
> etc....
> Leave Deitel alone!
> DeepBleu

I agree with you to a point. They don't seem passionate about
programming, and the books are definitely cookie cutter. That said,
more books on the python landscape is a good thing. And as the

Personally I found a lot of the best material is online. Beazley's
presentations are excellent, as is his dead tree book. Eckel's, "The
thinking in Python", is very good. For beginners the "How to Think
Like a Computer Scientist" I found better that most dead tree books
(http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/).

I would love to see books on Algorithms with Python (makes a perfect
fit), and more advanced topics such as threads and extending python.