PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Terry Reedy tejarex at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 31 19:41:08 EST 2002

"Stefan Schwarzer" <s.schwarzer at ndh.net> wrote in message
news:3CA751EF.10F25F2D at ndh.net...
> There are, as pointed out, too much cases where bool/int
interactions
> lead to surprises because the behaviour of the bool type does not
live
> up to its abstract concept that it should have. This is confusing;

This is precisely why I now think that the proposed formalization of
Python truth value system should not be called 'bool'.  Too many
people expect it to be like it "should' be, rather that how it was
designed.  Python truth values, like, for instance, Python lists, were
designed on a pragmatic basis without necessarily being constrained by
other similar models.

Terry J. Reedy