PEP 282: A Logging System -- comments please

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Mar 9 08:56:47 EST 2002

On Fri, 08 Mar 2002 23:50:04 GMT, Edward K. Ream <edream at tds.net> wrote:
>PEP 282 is more complex and less flexible than it could be.  Instead,
>Python's standard logging system could well use dynamic tracing.

I recently wrote a logging system as part of my Herbrip application.

I'm not sure that the python standard library needs a built-in
logging system. Sure, it'll be useful to some people if done well
and if it integrates in with logging in Unix-like OSes. But it is
hardly rocket science to write one from scratch -- my logging.py is
200 lines long (including comments and blank lines) and wasn't
mentally taxing to write. Furthermore it does logging in a way
specific to Herbrip; a generalised solution would need to be
extensively modified to do the functionality I weant, so it
might not be worth learning its API to use it.

I would suggest that the proponent of this system writes it, gets it
used in several packages, makes changes and improvments based on
comments received, then proposes adding it to the standard library.

--
<"><"><"> Philip Hunt <philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk> <"><"><">
"I would guess that he really believes whatever is politically