Translating Python to C (was Re: Modulo operator : differences between C and Python)

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Sun Mar 10 21:38:06 EST 2002

>> Just recently I prototyped a relatively complex algorithm in Python
>> before converting it to C.

I'm curious about your experiences. I did something myself recently,
creating a fairly sophisticated prototype in Python and then implemented
it in C++. Given that I had all the algorithms worked out and thoroughly
debugged, it was astounding to me how difficult it was to get properly
translated and then validated. It took literally 3 times as long or longer
to get the C++ version implemented and provably functional, this in spite
of the design time work being included in what it took to do the Python
implementation.

Programming in C++ genuinely depresses me.

And I'm an old veteran. I've been using it since the days of C Front, if
anyone around happens to know what that means. :-)

C//