Standalone CGI Server - Question for Group

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Fri Mar 29 09:49:40 EST 2002

Sloth wrote:

> The reason that I'd like to find a native Python script is as follows:
> I started to build a proof of concept Web app for a company that
> queried a customer database and generated search results.  The company
> loved it and wanted to have me create a few "pilots" for salespeople.
> If I can simply have them install Python and install an additional
> module or two, it would be easier than asking non-technical sales
> folks to also install Apache.

This is exactly the point. Install Python, unzip the web app package and
double-click on a start script. That's easy.

I usually write my web apps that they run under both environments. I
strongly recommend to use file objects for output instead of print
statements. This makes it easy to write a bunch of wrappers around the web
app for various web server APIs (FastCGI, mod_python, BaseHTTPServer, etc.)
by just passing file objects for output, error log and a dictionary
containing the CGI-BIN environment.

Ciao, Michael.