HP-UX, PyThread_* missing

Greg Weeks weeks at vitus.scs.agilent.com
Sat Mar 16 17:36:22 EST 2002

Paul F. Dubois (dubois at users.sourceforge.net) wrote:
: I am trying to get Python 2.2 to compile on HP-UX B.10.20. I get a set of
: missing externals with names PyThread_something. I need threads so I don't
: want to turn them off. Is there a package I need to install first? Or some
: other hint about what to do?

I posted recently regarding Python 2.2 and HP-UX 10.2.  See the Subject
"HP-UX 10.2 deprecated"?   Quoting from there:

To determine if _POSIX_THREADS is defined in unistd.h, "configure" runs the
C preprocessor on a file with the contents:

#include <unistd.h>
     #ifdef _POSIX_THREADS
     yes
     #endif

Unfortunately, with the C preprocessor invocation used by ./configure, the
indented #ifdef is not recognized, which results in the #ifdef construct
being mindlessly echoed, which is erroneously interpreted as the answer
"yes".  This causes _POSIX_THREADS to not be defined in pyconfig.h,
resulting in a bunch of undefined thread-related functions at link time.

When I removed the indentation from the above #ifdef construct, the "make"
of the executable was successful.  Unfortunately, "make test" did not pass.

An alternative to editing "configure" is to run:

    CC='cc -Ae' ./configure

In either case, though, "make test" fails at test_threads with:

    test_thread
    *** Termination signal 14

That was where I got stuck, and I'm *still* stuck.

On the other hand, I recall (sort of) someone posting after I did who
successfully built Python 2.2 on HP-UX 10.2 by installing gcc.
Unfortunately, I don't remember the Subject or the details.

If you do find a recipe for getting it to work, please post it!

Greg