Has Mark Hammond attained pariah status yet?

Sandy Norton sandskyfly at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 13 11:48:25 EST 2002

Martin v. Loewis:
> I don't count articles in a newsgroup saying "this is a good thing",
> "just continue with your efforts", "we definitely need this" as
> interest.  Instead, people contributing code, reporting bugs, or just
> using the system in their applications show interest. This is the case
> for Jython, but I don't think Armin or Christian got much actual code
> contributions. Likewise, when Mark would not deliver a win32all build
> for a few weeks, people would complain - but nobody would actually
> step forward and publish a build herself.

Perhaps you're right, but the wonderful work Armin, Christian, and
Mark (God bless them) are doing qualify as deep magic in my book: it
just ain't easy to wrap your brain around the Psyco, Stackless, or
win32all C/C++ codebases. I'm sure many pythonistas would love to
contribute... maybe it's just a matter of time.

When it comes to use, however, there must be many instances which just
aren't talked about. Personally, win32all is an integral tool in my
python toolchest and I've used Psyco to more than double the speed of
one part of an application with great success. I haven't gotten round
to using Stackless to any great effect simply because my brain can't
accomodate first-class continuations... but I'm eagerly awaiting the
practical library that will accompany the new generation stackless:
microthreads are most welcome!

I think the best way the average non-guru level pythonista can
contribute is to document her/his experiences with various modules in
howtos, place examples in the pubic domain, and just spread the love.

all the best,

Sandy